Thursday, August 24, 2006

Moses and Bart Simpson Share a Secret

Two things always bugged me about school. Memorizing things
and sitting still all day. I'm sure they still bug kids
today. But I found a way to use these "activities" to my
advantage, to build my power of concentration.

Being able to concentrate is primo importante for doing well
in school, on the job (even listening to your spouse). So
let's concentrate on concentration, and how memory work can
help.

My grandma used to pay me to memorize bible verses. A dime
a verse. When I was little, I thought it was an easy way to
make some money.

But as I got a little older and wiser, I realized that
Grandma was helping me develop the skill of concentration.
A skill that helped me become a Mechanical Engineer and a
Chiropractor, and still helps me as a healer today.

Memorizing something doesn't guarantee you'll really learn
it, but it DOES guarantee you'll get better at
concentrating.

Here's an exercise from The Power of Concentration, by
Theron Dumont:

"Read a short sentence and then try to write it down word
for word. When you are able to do this, try two or more
sentences. Practicing this will give you wonderful powers
of concentration.

"To remember every word in a sentence you must keep out
every thought except those you want to remember, and this
power of inhibition alone will more than compensate for the
trouble of the exercise."



Here's one to try:

"Anything is Possible. The only limitations are those I
acknowledge."

Or you can start with your favorite quote, verse or lyric.

When you get good at familiar, interesting sentences, try
some random sentences from books you read or the paper. The
less familiar it is, the more you'll have to concentrate to
remember it.

And the better you'll get at concentrating.

Using your hands to write and re-write actually uses more of
your mind, and gives the information more ways to get inside
your brain.

Like Bart Simpson's chalkboard. OK, bad example.

Better example: Moses. "Impress them on your children...
write these commandments on the doorframes of your houses
and on your gates."

Writing helps you memorize, and memorizing helps you
concentrate. And concentration is a big key to reaching
your goals, in school and in life.

So, when your kids are complaining about having to "memorize
and regurgitate", you can be the hero and teach them a new
way of thinking. How to get the good out of memorizing.

You can even make a game out of it and do it together.

(Next time we'll learn how to get the good out of sitting
still. Stay tuned.)


Dr. V

P.S. TV, computers and cell phones can make you mentally
fuzzy, unfocused, and ruin your ability to concentrate.
That's why I wear my Q-Link. To quiet my mind, be my best,
to be fully present with my family and my patients. You can
get yours here http://www.drvinceonline.com/qlink.htm