Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Truth about Pirates

Last Saturday, we had a ‘mini-reunion’ for our High School Band. The Stone Mountain High Marching Mighty Pirates.

We talked about the old days at the Rock. The “Roll Patrol”. Skipping class after Jazz Band concerts. Impromptu gymnastics on the MARTA train. How Mr. Hodges would let us go off campus to eat as long as we brought him something back. And how he would probably be arrested today for some of the discipline methods he used on us back then. (Don’t ask about the flying tuba mouthpiece.)

Many of the folks still play their instruments, professionally, at church, clubs or just for fun. Several are in business for themselves. My friend Bubba is about to retire from the Army.

Even though we were a little nostalgic, the cool thing was that everybody seemed more interested in what’s happening now, what’s new and where we’re all headed.

At one point, Michelle, who instigated the gathering, started rattling off everyone’s nicknames. None of which were very flattering, most of which I can’t list here because they wouldn’t make it through your spaaaam filter. And I was responsible for several of them.

And that’s when I realized how much I’ve really changed—and how thankful I am that my friends have big hearts (or short memories).

I did things in High School that I’m not proud of. Heck, I’ve done things lately that I’m not proud of (but at least they’re getting fewer and further in between).

But I wouldn’t change anything.

Sure, there are events, performances, relationships, deeds and misdeeds in my past that I wish I could’ve done better or avoided completely. But if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Because everything I’ve done or not done or been involved with or succeeded at or screwed up, every opportunity I’ve capitalized on, missed or blown…has moved me one step closer to where I am right now.

And that’s right where I want to be.

You, too. Your life is a reflection of your choices, good, bad or otherwise.

The choices we made in high school shaped our lives today. The choices you’re making today are shaping your life for the months and years to come.

So, if you don’t like where you are, start moving in a different direction. If you like where you’re heading, stay on that path. The key is to keep moving. Keep growing and improving.

And if you’re going to think about the past (High School or last year, or last week for that matter), only focus on your successes, the good stuff. Forget about the bad stuff. Or if you really screwed up, forgive yourself, learn the lesson and move on.

Like George Eliot says, “It’s never too late to be who you might have been.”


Dr. Vince