Wednesday, September 06, 2006

the Amazing Kid in the Shades

Got this note back from someone who watched the drum corps
show last night:

"Thanks, Vince. I watched and was pleased and amazed! What
humans can achieve always amazes me when sustained
dedication is involved."

I agree. And the most amazing thing to me from last night
was not the Godfather: Part Blue, Faust nor the Green
Machine (although they were pretty amazing).

It was a human interest story about kid named Matt
Bowers.

It started out pretty routine. In high school, Matt saw
some guys drumming and decided he wanted to play drums.

That summer, he saw the incredible drum lines at a drum
corps show and decided he wanted to march drum corps, too.

So, what makes this story so "interesting"? Well, because
Matt has macular degeneration, and is mostly blind. He can
barely see to march or play.

"It's like flashing and moving lights, random sorts of
patterns..."

He wasn't sure if he could pull it off, but he stayed
focused on his goal.

"Since I can't read music on the page, I figured I'd better
get pretty good at memorizing music real fast."

And he did. He marched with Spirit, and this year with the
defending World-champion Cadets.

Most of the other kids who were interviewed during the
show said, "This is the hardest thing I've ever done in my
life." Matt did, too. So I guess that made it doubly hard
for him.

How was he able to do it? How could he march and play in an
elite, World-champion drum and bugle corps with
virtually no sight?

"It didn't stop me, because I didn't want to let it stop me."

What do you want? What's stopping you?

Dr. V

P.S. Two of the bonus CDs in the "Secret Power of Words and
Music"
set are designed to propel you toward your goal. "The
Power of Concentration" focuses your Mind. And the
"Surprise" CD helps you see yourself as a 'being of
Limitless Possiblities.'

Just like Matt Bowers.

Don't let anything stop you. Get the complete set at
drvinceonline.com/secretpower