Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I'm Burned Out, but in a Good Way

11 years ago, the estrogen was flying fast and furious. My wife Ruth, and my future business partner Elise, were both pregnant, both with girls. And we were trying to finish school and decide where to open our new office.

Elise noticed in our school paper that a chiropractor was selling his practice in the 706 area code. Since we were planning to go to Athens anyway (which is 706), she told me to call him and to find out where the office was, just for fun.

We didn’t realize it at the time, but the 706 area code covers half of Georgia. So I was glad (lucky? Blessed?) to hear that Dr. Bob’s office was in Madison, only about 30 miles from Athens. It’s the #1 Small Town in America.

So, I was surprised to find out why Dr. Bob would be selling his practice in this modern-day Mayberry.

“Burnout.”

“Why are you laughing?” he asked. I wasn’t really sure. I just did.
Maybe he said it funny. Maybe I was an enthusiastic student and couldn’t believe someone could be ‘burned out’ on the great profession of chiropractic.

But I must admit, here I am, ten years later, burning out, too.

But not in the way you might think. And certainly not in the way Dr. Bob was. (As a side note, Dr. Bob has since become an attorney, and doing very well at it. I admire and congratulate him for making the changes he needed to.)

I’m having a different kind of burn-out. What I call “Jack London” Burn-out:

I would rather be ashes than dust!

I would rather that my spark should burn out
in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom
of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and
permanent planet.

The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not
waste my days trying to prolong them.

I shall use my time.

I taped this quote in the front of my notebook for the last three years of chiropractic school. It’s an excellent model of living enthused. Really living your life, not just shuffling through it.

One simple way to “use your time” better is to take five minutes each evening to plan your next day. Gather your things and put them by the door. Make a short list of a few things you really want to do tomorrow. Check your family’s schedule. Five minutes can bring a little order to your life, help you sleep better, use your energy better, and keep that spark burning.

The brilliant blaze won’t be far behind.

Live Enthused,

Dr. Vince

P.S. If you’re having the ‘other’ kind of burnout, shuffling thru life, need better energy and a better attitude, then you definitely need the Core Four. These energizing nutrients also help with mood swings, irritability and depression. Don’t wait. Feed your brain right. Check them out today at http://www.drvinceonline.com/core4.htm