Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Staying Awake

September 11, 2006


Five years ago today, our staff meeting was interrupted by a
phone call from Dr. Elise's husband. We were almost
finished anyway, so it was a good time to take a break.

"Oh, my God. A plane just flew into the World Trade
Center
."

I remember thinking it was odd, because I was picturing a
little plane flying into a little office building. And I
wondered why Mark had even called. I figured it was because
Dr. Elise is from New York, and the WTC was in New York
(at least I thought it was, but being a native Southerner, I
wasn't really sure).

In the car ride home, I heard the wake-up call on the radio.

That day we were reminded not to take our life for granted.
Today's a good day to remember that, too.

Sometimes we forget. In the hustle, bustle and the
"urgent", we can forget what's really important. Or
sometimes we get so distracted by our lives that we lose
focus on our Life.

Like "Leonard" said, in the movie "Awakenings":

"Remind them how good it is.

People have forgotten what life is all about...what it is to
be alive.

They need to be reminded of what they have and
what they can lose.

What I feel is the gift of life, the joy of life, the
freedom of life, the wonderment of life."


So, today, remember Life...those that were lost, those that
were given...and the one you still have left to live.

Dr. Vince