Thursday, June 28, 2007

What Game are you Playing?

Last summer I was playing my trombone at the local
arts & crafts fair called Madison-fest with our group
called the "G-Strings" (because the banjo player only
likes to play in the key of G)

We were taking turns improvising, and when the
trumpet player finished, I started my solo by
repeating the last few notes he'd just played.

Between songs he said, "When I heard you copying
me, I knew I'd better bring my A-Game".

What game are you bringing?

It still amazes me, after watching 5 seasons of the
Ultimate Fighter (which Entertainment Weekly calls the
'goofiest show we're addicted to'), how some guys will
talk a big game and train hard, but when it comes time
for the match they're not 'all there'.

They don't bring their A-Game; they don't play to win,
they just play not to lose. Or give up too soon.
Even with 100K as a prize.

Sometimes it can be lack of preparation. Or lack of
focus. Underestimating your opponent, your task,
getting distracted, being lazy. Lots of things can
keep you from your Best.

I'm not sure how my friend Jud will do tonight on
Jeopardy, but I do know this: he'll never get to
do it again. It's literally a once-in-a-lifetime
opportunity.

Barring any scoring mixups or tournament of champions,
once you lose on Jeopardy you hang up your signaling
device for good.

Life is a little more forgiving than that, but this is
the only one you've got. So regardless of what you're
doing, bring your A-Game.

The old Schlitz commercial said, "You only go around
once...so grab all the gusto you can."

The Red Hot Chili Peppers say, "This life is more
than just a Read-Through"

This is your Life.

In your physical training, mental training, career,
family, social and spiritual life...don't be
satisfied with mediocrity.

Live like You Mean it...

Dr. Vince

PS I should've given Jud a Q-Link before he left.
http://www.drvinceonline.com/qlink.htm

It has a microchip that acts like a tuning fork and
vibrates with your body's own energy field, making
it stronger and protecting you from harmful electronic
stress (like from airplanes, studio lights, 30 TV
screens staring at you...and like you're getting from
reading this on your computer right now)

This gives you better concentration and clarity...
and helps you stay calm and focused, even under stress.
I keep mine on all the time to keep the computer, cell
phone, iPod and TV from disturbing my performance.

Bring your A-Game all day long:
http://www.drvinceonline.com/qlink.htm