Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A Walking, Riding, Swimming and Running Miracle

A few years ago, I was shopping for some disability insurance. I sent an email to a lady who worked exclusively with chiropractors, and we hit it off right away.

Meredith was impressed that I had included all the details and asked all the right questions in my email (she must be easily impressed). She also thought it was funny that we both had graduated from Georgia Tech, but neither of us were engineers.

While Meredith "cut her financial planning teeth" on chiropractors, most of her clients are professionals and business owners, who already have insurance agents, investment brokers, CPA's and attorneys, but need a "big picture" financial planner.

My wife and I liked working with her because she truly created a coordinated plan that addressed our retirement, our estate (wills, trusts and powers of attorney), risk management (insurance, business issues) and tax reduction strategies, etc.

But last year we thought we might have to replace her.

Not because Meredith had done anything wrong, or because we were unhappy in any way.

She had a brain tumor.

Here's the short version in her own words:

"I believe that I am in this business for a reason. After doing this for 8 years, I had my first child. After giving birth to my son, Erik, I experienced terrible post partum headaches. After several prescription painkillers (which didn't work) I found myself in the North Fulton Hospital ER. You should have seen the ER doc's face when he walked in and told us that there was a "6 cm. anomaly" in the right parietal lobe of my brain (above and behind my right ear).

"I was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumor (the most malignant kind).

"Through three surgeries I have personally been on a disability claim and filed for a long-term care claim over the last year. (at times I thought that I would have a life insurance claim.) My powers of attorney have been requested at least a half a dozen times.

"I believe I am a walking miracle and am more impassioned than ever to ensure that people don't forget about handling their "big picture" financially."

Meredith is doing great now, and is still planning to keep running triathalons. She's back at work, full-steam ahead. And enjoying every second with her son and husband.

Like we all should.

Facing your own mortality can do that for you. Maybe updating your will or buying some life insurance is about as close as you want to get to yours. That's OK.

But do it anyway.

It'll help put things in perspective, and make things a whole lot easier for you and your family when the time comes.

(Next time I'll tell you more about what Meredith's doing to keep herself healthy. You might be surprised.)

Until then, you can contact her at moore@eaglestrategies.com or check out her website at www.insuranceandbenefit.com. You can read more about her story in her journal site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/meredithhansen

Live like you mean it,

Dr. Vince