Wednesday, September 27, 2006

They Won't Bite

One fine September morning (sort of like the one we had
today, but 23 years ago) I was enjoying a walk up "the Hill"
at Georgia Tech.

Even though I was dreading my next class, I was thinking
about some band "shenanigans" we had pulled a few days
earlier. I don't remember now if it was kidnapping the Band
Captain, or having the freshmen steal Ronald McDonald (he
marched with us at the Virginia game), but it was really
funny, whatever it was.

As the crowds filed past me, I suddenly realized that
everyone was smiling at me. Guys and girls. It took me by
surprise, because this had never happened before. Was my
fly open? Was my hair standing up? (not likely, since I had
a ROTC buzz cut). Was it my magnetic personality? ...or was
it...

...my winning smile?

I thought I was just walking up the Hill, looking at whoever
was walking past, trying not to get run over. But then I
realized that when I was looking at them with a grin
plastered across my face (such as it is), I was engaging the
passers-by. Connecting.

Dale Carnegie says that the expression you wear on your face
is far more important than the clothes you wear on your
back.

You must have a good time meeting people if you expect them
to have a good time meeting you.

But meeting new people can be scary. And fear paralyzes you
(and your face). I know you were told to "never talk to
strangers", but those days are over now. If you let fear
get the best of you in one area, it can take hold in other
areas, too. And make you less effective and/or successful.

The key is staying relaxed. And the Q-Link can help.
http://www.drvinceonline.com/qlink.htm

The Q-Link helps you block out physical, mental and
emotional stress from all directions. It helps you stay
calm, mentally clear and focused. Which makes it easier for
you to relax, enjoy social situations (new or familiar)--and
smile.

People love it when you speak first, breaking that 'awkward
silence'. It relaxes them. So go ahead, just say,
"Hi"...they'll love you for it.

And a smile won't hurt either.

Live like you Mean it...

Dr. Vince :-)

P.S. Ronald made it back home safe and sound. No marketing
icons were harmed in the making of that half-time show.