Thursday, December 21, 2006

How to Get More this Christmas

I know it sounds funny for a grown man to be talking about
'getting' more at Christmas. Shouldn't it say 'Give' more?

Exactly.

The way I've heard it is 'The hole you receive through can
only be as big as the hole you give through.'

So to get more, you've got to give more.

This year, our office is supporting Heifer International, which is an
organization that 'teaches men to fish', by supplying needy
communities with animals to raise as a renewable source
of food. Dr. Elise's daughter, Victoria, has championed this
project for the past several years. Last year, she raised
enough money to buy two 'arks' full of animals ($10,000--
when she was 16!)

I've included Victoria's letter to tell you more about it. Besides
being impressed by how well she writes and how mature she
sounds, I hope you'll pick up on her passion, too.

If you'd like to help (and expand the size of your receiving hole),
you can donate by clicking one of the links below, for whichever
amount you want.

Like a friend of mine used to say: Don't give until it hurts;
give until it feeeeeels goooooood.

Peace...Dr. V

-----

Season's Greetings!

It's easy to take for granted all the personal luxuries which
make up our daily lives, and to forget about problems that
might not involve us personally, such as the great disparity
of material wealth in our society and across the world.

Christmas is right around the corner, and as I sit here in the
comfort of my home, with a crackling fire and holiday tunes
ringing in my ears, it is so easy to be completely at peace. I
am attuned to this very present, personal moment with all of
my needs and wants taken care of.

However, like I always do at this time of year while people
around me are spreading their Christmas cheer, I tend to
think about the many people that for reasons I will never
know, are left deprived of the basic necessities for living a
content life. I also end up remembering a not too distant past,
in my naivety of youth, when the possibility of becoming the
country's first woman president and solving all the world's
problems seemed like a real prospect for my future.

But amid the busy-ness that seems to absorb my seemingly
more grown-up life, I realize that according to my various
limitations, I can only make very small improvements in the
world around me. I've let go of fantastical childhood ambitions,
yet nevertheless, I realize that I can still do something, albeit
small, to make the world just a little better.

And you can too.

This Christmas, as you find yourself busy with the usual
holiday festivities, gathering with friends and family to celebrate
a joyous holiday, remember that there are little ways which
you can affect a positive change in the world.

As I have done for the past two years, I will be gathering
monetary donations to send to Heifer International (visit
www.heifer.org for detailed information). Heifer's mission
is to end world hunger and poverty by helping the needy
create a sustainable future for themselves. My previous
fundraisers have been wonderfully inspiring reminders of
the little bit I can do to make Christmas a more meaningful
time for me and for those around me. They've also reminded
me that someone in need might have the necessities to get
by this winter with help from the little bit of money I decided
not to put toward another material gift.

As I'm sure you've experienced before, it's fulfilling to know
that you've helped a person in need. It's especially fulfilling
at this time of year when consumerism is at its peak.

This Christmas, along with the many material gifts that you
will exchange with loved ones, why not make a difference that
may seem small in the whole scheme of things, yet might be as
grand as life or death to someone in desperate need?

Set aside a few dollars for Heifer International and through them,
help to create a future where one day everyone around the world
will realize the same comfort and joy we come to expect at this
time of year.

I hope you'll join with me in my fundraising efforts and make a
donation by clicking one of the links below:

$500
http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/javanof.asp?MerchantID=79719&ProductID=3328221

$250
http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/javanof.asp?MerchantID=79719&ProductID=3328222

$100
http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/javanof.asp?MerchantID=79719&ProductID=3328223

$50
http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/javanof.asp?MerchantID=79719&ProductID=3328225

$25
http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/javanof.asp?MerchantID=79719&ProductID=3328226

I sincerely hope you have a joyous holiday season that brings
endless happiness to you and your loved ones.

Merry Christmas!

Victoria Faust

P.S. If you are interested in learning more about Heifer
International's history and background, please send a
blank email to: vfaust89@yahoo.com