Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Top 10 Reasons to Clean your Room

My daughter Grace wrote me an email yesterday (yes, from
the next room).

It said,

'Daddy-
I have a question.
Q: Why do I have to clean my room?
A:?

Please write your answer next to the 'A' but erase
the question mark. Thank you. I love you! g '


Her concept is that it's her room, so she shouldn't have to clean
it if she doesn't mind the mess. That, however, is not her
parents' concept. And we've explained it to her many times
before.

So, I wrote her back (per her instructions) with the Top 10
reasons she should clean her room. They were logical,
reasonable, and had to do with energy, responsibility,
health, creativity, success and all kinds of other things
she's interested in. (#1 was the ever popular, 'because I
said so...')

You're probably not surprised to know that she still said, 'But
why?'

So, later that day while we were at the movies (Ruth's still
with Grand-daddy at the hospital), she said, 'Can we share a tub
of popcorn?'

Even though it was treat day, I didn't think we needed to have
all that corn (including the corn syrup soda). But she said,
'Yes we do--with lots of butter!'

I've heard that some parents use aversion therapy with
their kids, for things like beer and cigarettes, letting them
partake to their heart's content in the safety of their own
home under adult supervision, until they get so sick they don't
even want to look at another beer or cigarette for a long time.

And knowing that the rational explanation thing wasn't working
too well that day, I said, 'OK...Combo #1, and layer the
butter.'

After the movie ('Deck the Halls'...I don't recommend it), as we
were walking through the parking lot, Grace said, 'Yuk, my
stomach feels terrible...I think I ate too much popcorn...'
And she kept saying it about every 10 minutes until bedtime
(she skipped supper). And we had a good Daddy-Daughter
bedtime story about learning things the hard way.

Mission accomplished.

But we did share something else to eat that night. A heaping
fistfull of Concentrated Omega-3 Pharmaceutical grade fish oil
capsules.

The Omega-3s balance out the pro-inflammatory Omega-6
fats found in corn and the trans fats in the 'artificial butter
flavored sauce food product'. Fish oil covers a multitude
of nutritional sins.

I know, you're probably thinking, 'If only popcorn was the
worst thing I ate in the next few weeks...' (and you may
still be having junk hang-overs from Thanksgiving). So,
you need to get some Concentrated Omega-3 Pharmaceutical
grade fish oil...immediately, if not sooner. Don't face the
holidays without it.

http://www.drvinceonline.com/fishoil.htm

Live like you Mean it,

Dr. Vince

P.S. Fish oil also helps soothe the Mind and settle the nerves.
In-laws, out-laws, pesky kids and nosy neighbors all seem to
get worse now (12 shopping days left, by the way). Don't let
the stress ruin your holidays...feed your brain better, and start
doubling up on your fish oil

http://www.drvinceonline.com/fishoil.htm