Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Virginia's Most Dangerous Intersection

Yesterday morning I was talking with my business partner
about choices. How your choices change your path
and whose path you cross, and how those intersections
change, influence and create your life.

Our office had its 11th Birthday Sunday, so we're thankful
for the choices we've made to get us where we are.
And glad that I mentioned going to chiropractic school to my
wife (even though I was only half-joking), and all the other
little things along the way that helped us create our practice.

Yesterday afternoon, I was talking with some patients about
all the small choices that led me to my wife. How and
why we both chose to go to Georgia Tech, how we were
both in the Band, and just how amazing all that timing
can be.

If my dad hadn't brought home his cubicle-mate's son's
trombone for me to try out in the seventh grade, who
knows what might have happened.

Yesterday evening, I heard about the Virginia Tech shootings.
33 people made simple choices. Go to class or Skip.
Hang out in the dorm or go workout. Just a normal Monday.

A few years ago, they filled out applications. Probably to
other colleges, too. But for some reason, they picked
Virginia Tech. And for some reason, they picked that class.
Maybe to get it over with early, so they could enjoy the sun.
Or to graduate early. Or to be in class with a friend.

Who knows.

A few years ago, some anonymous Asian kid decided to
study in America. And for some reason he picked Virginia Tech.
Maybe he liked to mountains. Maybe he wanted to be an
engineer.

Who knows.

I don't think he came here to kill himself after he killed
32 other students. But everyone's choices intersected there.

I said it yesterday talking about our 11th birthday, and
I'll say it again today: even though there are some things in
my life I wish I'd done better, I wouldn't go back and change
anything. Even the 'bad' stuff plays a part in helping me
be who, what and where I am today.

I know 32 people who wish they'd done something differently
yesterday. Or the day before. Or a week or a month before.
Whatever and whenever to not end up in that classroom
with that a**hole yesterday.

But they can't now, even if they wanted to. There's not any
good that I can see coming of this right now. But we've got
to find something.

Because the alternative is unimaginable.

Today you'll have choices and intersections. Don't be
afraid. Be grateful for them...and live your life.

Today.

Prayers, thoughts, and peace to the families of these
students...and to you
.

Dr. Vince