Thursday, May 17, 2007

Platter makes Phatter

Tuesday I took my friend David out for a
Cave-friendly birthday breakfast at our
local Cracker Barrel.

We ordered eggs, meat, apples...but none of
the grits, toast, biscuits and gravy (the
waitress looked at us funny and asked,
"Are you sure?")

When the food came, David made this
observation:

"I just ordered the Mindless Eating book
you recommend, and one of the reveiwers
was talking about plate size and how she's
learning to visualize the plate smaller"

(Mindless Eating is Recommende Reading in
the Caveman Cuisine QuickStart Guide
http://www.drvinceonline.com/caveman.htm

"When I got this plate, I thought, Wow,
that's really not much food..." Then
he cupped his hand and blocked out half
the plate..."but that looks about right."

So I told him another story from Mindless
Eating about an antique dealer who sells
old plates. But shoppers always think
the dinner plates are salad plates and
the serving platters are dinner plates.

Because we've gotten used to supersizing
everything.

So, David moved his food to my six-inch
bread plate, and it looked like a true
heapin' helpin'.

Then he held up the plate his food came
on, and said, "This IS a serving platter"

I'd never really thought about it until then,
but that 'plate' was the same size as the
platters I have at home. Yikes.

The more we see, the more we eat. It's
hardwired into the brain as a survival
mechanism.

The thing is, it was put there when food
wasn't so plentiful and we didn't have as
many choices (or non-foods either)

So now, as we get more civilized,
sophisticated and modernized, we're getting
sicker, fatter and weaker...and getting
more mental problems as well...mainly
because we're disrespecting our biology.

Plate size is just one thing. I cover the
hidden dangers of 'variety' in this month's
Caveman Cuisine newsletter. Don't eat
jelly beans, M&M's or a buffet again--
until you read it.

The experiments I talk about also come from
the book Mindless Eating, by Brian Wansink, PhD,
which I highly recommend you get.

'cuz when you get your Body and your Mind working
together, there's no stopping you.

Live like You Mean it...

Dr. Vince

P.S. I'm sending out the newsletter today, so
if you want one you'd better hurry. You'll
also get the QuickStart Guide/CD, the Wheel
of Life guide, the Hidden Eyes CD, Caveman
Concentration...

take charge of your health today.

http://www.drvinceonline.com/caveman.htm